Training Indonesian Domestic Helpers for Elderly Care
Deadline: 20 July
Registration: Submit name and contact details of the employer and the domestic helper to email@example.com.
- to equip Foreign (Indonesian) Domestic Helpers (FDHs) with basic knowledge and skills for providing care for the frail elderly;
- to train FDHs to support elderly persons in adopting healthy lifestyles and reducing their health risk factors; and
- to enhance elderly persons’ quality of life in the community through better support from their employed FDHs who are equipped with elderly caregiving skills.
Scope of Service
- The Social Welfare Department, Department of Health (DH) and SKH Lok Man Alice Kwok Integrated Service Centre (Service Centre) jointly implement the Pilot Scheme on Training for FDHs on Elderly Care (the Pilot Scheme).
- The trainers of the Pilot Scheme include the nurse, dietician, physiotherapist and occupational therapist from DH.
- The training mainly covers common topics in elderly care and care skills, and includes electives on caring for the elderly persons with dementia and strokes.
- To encourage FDHs’ participation, the Service Centre will arrange care services or activities for the needy elderly persons when the training is being conducted.
- Upon successful completion of the training, FDHs will be awarded attendance certificate.
Content of Training Course
11 hours with 8 Core Modules
a) Assisting elders with feeding and taking medicines
b) Fall Prevention
c) First Aid
d) Food hygiene and healthy meal arrangement for the elderly
e) Mental health of elders and detection of warning signs
f) Bathing and oral care for the elderly
g) Vital signs observation and skills in measuring blood pressure, body temperature and blood sugar
h) Assist elders with mild mobility impairment in transferring positions
4 Elective Modules
i) Meal arrangements for elders with dementia
j) Communicating with the elderly persons with dementia
k) Managing behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia
l) Caring for elderly persons with stroke