St Andrew’s is a community of people devoted to Jesus Christ, who share his gospel, calling on people to follow him, and seek the renewal and flourishing of Hong Kong.
St Andrew’s belongs to the Anglican (Sheng Kung Hui) Province of Hong Kong and is in the Diocese of Western Kowloon.
Stated simply, our core values in no particular order are:
The core of Christianity is a relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour. He is central to all that we do as Christians. Our lives should give expression to our faith in him, as we listen to his teaching, pray in his name, serve him in every aspect of our lives, trusting in his life giving death and resurrection.
Teach the Bible
We believe that God speaks to us with clarity and life-changing power through the Bible. Through the Bible we can know God and be equipped to serve Him. His Spirit changes us through his Word, applying it to our hearts.
The Christian life is not meant to be lived in isolation. We need one other. Christian communities need to model to the world all the fullness and richness of what living under the lordship of Jesus looks like.
Share the gospel
Christians are called to proclaim the gospel of Jesus to those around them. We recognise that God has put us in our position in Hong Kong for this purpose.
Love the city
Jesus calls on us to love our neighbour. That will be seen in our faithful proclamation of Jesus to those around us. It should also be seen as we engage with the social, economic and welfare structures of Hong Kong, seeking the well being of people in Hong Kong, as we serve them in practical ways.
Declaration of Faith
We accept the following statements as the fundamentals of the Christian faith.
- The one God eternally exists in three equally divine Persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, who know, love and glorify one another.
- The divine inspiration and infallibility of the Bible, and its supreme authority in matters of faith and conduct.
- God created human beings in His image, to love and serve Him and one another. Humans are God’s agents to care for, manage, and govern creation, and to live in holy and devoted fellowship with their Maker.
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of humans since the fall, rendering all people subject to God’s anger and condemnation.
- The conception of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, by the Holy Spirit and his birth of the Virgin Mary.
- The sacrificial death of Jesus Christ as our representative and substitute, which redeems those who put their faith and trust entirely in him from the guilt, penalty and power of sin.
- The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
- The Holy Spirit applies the salvation secured by Jesus Christ to his people. The Holy Spirit convicts the individual of sin, righteousness, and judgement, pointing to the work of Jesus, and brings about repentance and faith.
- The Holy Spirit dwells in believers, renewing and sanctifying them.
- The personal, glorious, and bodily return of the Lord Jesus Christ, who will exercise his role as final judge and his kingdom will be consummated.